Thursday, March 19, 2009

The End of an Era

Tomorrow is my last day student teaching. It is going to be hard to say goodbye. I have come to know and love so many of my student is such a short period of time. It kinda scares me - if I am this emotional leaving students I have only known for two and a half months, what am I going to be like with students I've had all year.

I can't help it but my heart just aches for them. They are going to be facing so many adventures and I hope they are up to the task. They are all so brilliant but I would just like to see them make better choices.

From all the interviews I had yesterday, I realized one of the goals I have as a teacher - I want every one of my students to leave my classroom a better person. Science is great and important to learn but that isn't the main thing I want them to get from being in my class. I want them to achieve a sense of hope, of excitement, of understanding and of wisdom. I want their eyes to be opened to the many opportunities that they have at their fingertips. I want them to have to foresight to know where their current actions are leading them.

In science experiments, we always have a control - a sample where we keep everything the same. But then we have other samples where we change one thing - and only one thing - to make it different from the control and see what difference that one thing makes.

To all my students out there, look at how you are doing. If you do the same thing, you will keep getting the same results. Change one thing. Just one. See what a difference it makes. Sometimes it will be beneficial; other times it won't. Figure out what is best - for you. That is how you change your life - and the world for that matter - one thing at a time. Go out and achieve your full potential - because your potential is truly amazing.

9 comments:

Jared Peterson said...

Mr. Ripplinger!

I'm really mad at your blog right now. I wrote this HUUUUUUGE comment, and then it said I had to have an account. And when I made the account, or rather, when I found my lost account, my computer crashed, and I lost that comment. So! In a nutshell, this is what it said.

I had a teacher last year named Mrs. Smith. She came in around December to take place of my old English teacher, who was retiring. Mrs. Smith was not just a normal teacher. She was someone that I could trust and confide in. I never knew that I could love coming to English every day, but I did because of her.

There are few teachers today that can change a person, Mr. R. And, I really do think that you are one of them. You aren't like the other teachers. Every single day, I walk into 6th period Biology and I see you smiling and talking and having fun. It makes science so much easier when you have a teacher that can communicate with students easily. For instance, when you and Mrs. Eich (sp?) became student teachers, I felt like I could finally ask questions about the subject. With Mrs. Monson, I felt like I was wasting my time because I would sound stupid if I asked something.

But not with you. You are so different that it makes us feel better about ourselves. From the short time I've known you (what has it been? 3 months? ish?), you've changed me even more than Mrs. Smith did, and I had her for a whole semester.

I don't know how you did. Perhaps you're magical. I don't know. But I speak for all my friends and peers in 6th period Biology when I say that you have changed us.

So, with that, thank you, Mr. R, for being an AMAZING teacher with an AMAZING and MAGICAL way of teaching.

-Jared from 6th period Biology

Clark said...

Jared,

I am sorry that my blog did that to you. I just changed the settings so that you dont have to have an account to post. Hopefully that will fix things. :)

Thank you so much for your comment. It is truly touching and I am glad that you shared it with me. It is easy to appear magical with students like you. I loved being in class. I enjoyed every minute that I spent there and I am glad that you enjoyed it too. There are times when I wonder how I am doing as a teacher. It is very comforting to know that all our work together hasn't been in vain.

These classes have been unforgetable. I might forget a name here and there but the feelings and impressions I have had at Joel P. Jensen are permanent and I give up my experience there for the world. You guys constantly were surprising me with your talents and abilities. For example, playing the piano in the talent show - your performance of Defying Gravity was excellent.

Thank you so much for being the person you are. :)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ripplinger..... I cant find you on facebook... LAME. And a typed in the following- J. Clark Ripplinger. but i got all these mark ripplingers that were old. soo... yeah... haha help?

-Marissa....6th period!

Thank you, i enjoyed the blog.

Jared Peterson said...

I also forgot to add, Mr. Ripplinger, that whatever you do, you will change people, because that's just who you are and what you do.

Like I said, you're magical.

Have fun at your new school. We'll always remember you.

-Jared

Clark said...

Marissa,

I don't know what to say. J. Clark Ripplinger is my exact profile name. I double checked the settings on my profile and anyone should be able to find me if they search. So maybe you are restricting your search to a specific network. Try checking at the top of the search and make sure its allowing all networks. Does that help?

Summer said...

Wow you arent just a wannabe inspirational person!!! You have changed many lives in the science classes at Joel P. You bright up the room with your laugh and corny jokes:) Ive always found biology and any science for that matter pretty interesting but I have to say that you have definitely made it more fun and easy to learn which makes me wanna learn science even more. You are naturally a crowd pleasure and a people person which makes you an awesome teacher. You will continue to change lives for the better. Im glad you could be in my life even if it was just for a couple months. Thankyou so much for what you have done and for the nice blog!!

-Summer 6th period biology yo!

captaindilan said...

Mr. Ripplinger,
I apologize for any spelling errors I might make, I'm using my ipod so it's hard to type.
Honestly, there aren't many teachers that I can fully feel comfortable asking questions or getting help from. When ever I need help I'm always comfortable to ask you it's like talking to one of my friends. You have really made 7th period biology a fun place to learn. You've left a great impression on me and I'm sure other students as well. Thanks for everything! You are one funny guy!

Your favorite student ever,
Dilan Maxfield!

P.S. I can't find you on facebook! What should I type!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Dilan! you can look on my friends! i found his dad than him hahaahahahahahahahahahaha im in biology now!

Clark said...

how can you comment on my blog and be in class at the same time? Are you using electonic devices inappropriately? :) I can not promote this kinda of behavior. Especially since that is Mrs. Eich's class. But I still find it hilarious! :)