Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Jobs

I have another job! In addition to substituting, tutoring and teaching ballroom dance, I will be teaching 7th grade science and 9th grade Biology! Hurray! The hire letter just got cleared today and I am going over tomorrow to sign the contract.

So if my schedule wasn't crazy before, it certainly is now. I am tutoring 4 days a week - I have two ballroom dance classes I am teaching - I will be an official teacher every other day - substituting when I am available (the next one is an all day french gig) - I have choir on two nights a week - and I am teaching Sunday School almost every week. No wonder I haven't blogged in a year!

But here's the deal - I know I have already graduated so its kinda a little late to be thinking about this kinda thing but I want to change majors. :) That's not completely true. I just keep questioning my choices. What do I want to do for the rest of my life? I honestly don't think it will be teaching. But if it isn't, then why am I not doing what I want to be doing.

That's the true problem - I don't know what I want. I was talking to my aunt yesterday about this and she basically told me that those people who find a career that they love are the lucky ones. Everyone else just puts up with it so that they have freedom (or finances) to do the other things that they want. I don't want to be one of those people. I don't like the idea of spending 8 hours a day doing something you dread. I want to be able to wake up in the morning and look forward to my day.

I can't settle down. I can't choose just one thing. I can't be content doing the same thing everyday. I can't stand that I am 26 and I have this feeling like this is as good as it gets - its all less exciting from here on out.

Any career suggestions that meet these requirements?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also teach. Jr. and senior high math. And, I love it. I felt the same way you described in your post when I began teaching, thinking it was something to do until I found something better. At most, I figured I would teach 5 years, then move on.

It has now been 25 years, and I absolutely LOVE my profession. I could not have chosen a better profession for myself. The kids bring such energy every day and it is a true joy to teach and interact with them. I have not had ONE day my entire career when I felt I wished I would have picked something else. I believe I am one of those people your aunt described who is lucky enough to find the right career for them and is happy doing it.
I wish you well in your pursuits to find out what you want to do with your life. Good luck! http://zenmormon.blogspot.com Love, Duck