Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Moon

I saw girl butt for the first time today. I was in my prep period today and five girls came it to chat about the musical I am the choreographer for. On the way out, something sparked one student to show the other student her butt. Don't understand it but I was caught in the line of sight. I was shocked - stunned - I am sure I turned bright red. After talking with her teacher, we decided it would be a good idea for me to talk with the vice principal about the incident. So I did. He called her down. I didn't want to be there when she came. Discipline isn't my forte. I disappeared in the attendance office for a minute or two. When I thought the coast was clear, I made my way back through the main office. But my timing was off - she was there. She was in a chair outside of the vice-principal's office bawling her eyes out. I felt horrible. Its six hours later and its still eating me up inside. Being a part of all that hurt she felt is hard for me to swallow. If I could, I'd rather not tell anyone about the incident to save her all the hardship. But that's not right. I hate that what I did is better for her. I hate that I had to be a part of her learning the hard way. I hate that I felt like being a single male teacher means I couldn't put my arm around her shoulder after the whole experience. But that's another rant for another day. Today, I just have to cope with the fact that the right thing hurts sometimes. (Even in writing that I find myself asking why)

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Don't worry clark, I have the same problems. Our students do dumb things, and I tell myself CONSTANTLY, "They have to learn it somewhere. Better to learn it now than when they're 30."

We live in a day and time when parents aren't teaching their kids not to show their friends their butts in public. They also aren't teaching them morals and values and how to effectively interact. I know that I will do a worse job than a parent would have done---but a cruddy job is better than no job at all.